1. Cabinet allowed state-run gas-firm GAIL (India) Ltd to sign a gas purchase agreement with Turkmenistan’s national oil firm, for supplies from a planned multi-national pipeline, the proposed 1,700-km (1,056-mile) Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India line (TAPI) will have a capacity to carry 90 million cubic metres a day (mcmd) gas for a 30-year period and will be operational in 2018.
2. Country’s largest private mobile operator Bharti Airtel and Axis Bank made a partnership to provide banking services through Airtel Money platform.
3. Grammy-winning disco legend Donna Summer (Queen of Disco), who steamed up the charts in the 1970s and 80s with raunchy hits like “Love to Love You Baby” and “Hot Stuff,” died at age of 63.
4. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to set up a $2 billion swap facility for SAARC (South-Asian Association for Regional Co-operation) member-nations, the swap will be offered in U.S. dollar, euro or Indian rupee against the domestic currency.
5. The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has issued notice to National record holder in the 400 metres, Manjeet Kaur, for her “failure” to submit to a dope control during the Federation Cup meet at Patiala last month.
6. Pastor Maldonado gave Williams a first Formula One race win in almost eight years, when he fought off local hero Fernando Alonso in a thrilling Spanish Grand Prix.
7. Seeking to diversify its business portfolio and venture into new and challenging areas, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has drawn up plans to enter the marketing and re-gasficiation of LNG and into the City Gas Distribution (CGD) business.