1. World’s largest social network Facebook.com turns 8 years old on Feb 4. Grown together, We’ve changed our relationship statuses, we’ve flipped through our tagged photos, we’ve seen friends’ last names change, with their marriages followed by offspring. We’ve said goodbye to fellow Facebook users, our friends whose Walls and now Timelines have become digital memorials. We cried. We smiled. We tell our stories.
2. Facebook, the world’s most popular social networking site with an estimated 845 million active subscribers, has grown leaps and bounds in these eight years.
3. The Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is best known as the man who built Facebook, the company has three other co-founders, all college roommates and fellow students at Harvard Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz, and Chris Hughes.
4. In January 2009, Compete.com study ranked Facebook as the most used social networking service by worldwide monthly active users. Quantcast estimates Facebook has 138.9 million monthly unique US visitors in May 2011. According to Social Media Today, in April 2010 an estimated 41.6 per cent of the US population had a Facebook account.
5. In India, Facebook has registered a growth of 132 per cent this year, which is higher than many other countries. In some countries, such as Turkey or Chile, up to 80 per cent of Internet users are registered with Facebook. The Russian Facebook audience exceeds 5 million people.
6. On the other side, company’s market growth has started to stall in some regions, with the site losing 7 million active users in the United States and Canada in May 2011.
7. Again rising high on growth charts, the company has filed for an initial public offering (IPO) on February 1, 2012 worth $5 Million.