1. Indian Scientists Honoured in US:: Three distinguished scientists of Indian-origin — two inventors and a researcher – figure in a celebrated White House honors list this year, New York University’s Srinivasa SR Vardhan, Purdue University’s Rakesh Agarwal, and North Carolina State Univeristy’s B Jayant Baliga are among the select dozen named by President Obama to receive the National Medal of Science, and for Technology and Innovation, the highest honor bestowed by the US government on scientists, engineers and inventors.
2. CBI opposes govt on Chidambaram’s role in 2G scam:: CBI on Tuesday stoutly objected in the Supreme Court to the Centre’s stand that the agency will look into the finance ministry note on 2G issue which suggested the spectrum scam could have been averted had home minister P Chidambaram insisted on the auction route.
3. General in Sukna scam claims memory loss:: Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash, the key accused in the Sukna land scam, went the Kalmadi way at his general court martial, claiming memory loss during questioning.
4. Sohrabuddin fake encounter case :: The CBI on Tuesday requested the Supreme Court to cancel the bail granted to former Gujarat minister Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case.
5. HC respite for Chandy in palmolein import case:: The high court of Kerala on Tuesday stayed for a month a vigilance court’s directive to re-investigate chief minister Oommen Chandy’s role in the palmolein import case.
6. Sixteen dead as Typhoon Nesat strikes Philippines:: Typhoon Nesat smashed into the Philippines on Tuesday, leaving at least 16 people dead, with the capital Manila enduring waist-deep floods, blackouts and dramatic storm surges.
7. ONGC clears Cairn deal with a rider::Flagship explorer Oil and Natural Gas Corporation on Tuesday decided to allow NRI metals tycoon Anil Agarwal’s Vedanta Resources to acquire control of Cairn India, a subsidiary of Scottish explorer Cairn Energy Plc.
8. Anil Ambani to unlock value in 4 cos:: The Reliance Group is looking at unlocking values in all group companies operating in the financial services, telecommunications, power and infrastructure space.
9. Google Celebrates with Doodle on 13th Birthday:: Search giant Google has entered teens today, the tech behemoth has turned 13. Officially a teenager, Google celebrates its birthday with a doodle that shows the five letters of the company logo wearing party hats placed around a cake with balloons and gifts around.
10. On September 27 Goodbye pesky calls and SMSes:: To avail the service, customers will have to get themselves registered with the National Customer Preference Registry, earlier known as “National Do Not Call Registry”, by dialing toll free number 1909.
11. Sachin and Yuvraj to miss ODI series against England:: Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh are certain to miss out. There is also a question mark over Virender Sehwag’s availability, Middle-order batsman Rohit Sharma‘s fitness too is touch-and-go and he may not be available before the 3rd ODI.